Concentration, Lunars and Conversion

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:57:24 -0000

I know that really I should wait for ILH2, but this just occurred to me the other day when reading the stuff here about concentration and devotion.

Is one of the problems that exists between the Lunars and the Orlanthi down to the unusually high level of concentration found amongst the Heortlings?

We know the Lunars are seeking to convert others to the Lunar Way, and we are now learning that the Lunar Otherworld is separate to the Godplane, the Essence Plane and the Spirit Plane, and that it can be contacted successfully by veneration, sacrifice or ecstatic worship.

Skipping back, for second, consider Havar Ironfist's Yelmalians trying to convert an Elmali worshipper to Yelmalio. Since both are Gods then any concentration will not be affected by the change (so Common Magic feats or affinities will still work, for instance)

Now take the case of a Lunar Priest preaching to the Dara Happan peasants. They worship Gods by Sacrifice, but tend not to concentrate, so can happily switch to sacrificing to Lunar Gods - their magic continues to work, and they can get magic from the Lunar Gods with similar efficiency.

Or the Lunar Shaman conversing with the Char-un or Sable Riders. They are Spiritists who worship ecstatically. Practitioners don't need to concentrate so can happily switch to honouring Lunar Spirits alongside their own native spirits (at an additional 10% time) or replacing native charms with lunar ones. Either way their common magic charms work, and contacting Lunar Spirits is no more arduous than their own native ones.

Or the Lunar Wizard debating with the Carmanian Sorcerors or Westerners. They worship by veneration and, even at the highest levels of magic don't need to concentrate. Lunar Essences work in the same way that other essences do, and are no harder to contact and control. Using Lunar Grimoires, or accepting Lunar Blessings will not affect their other magic.

But when Lunar Agents attempt to convert Concentrated magic users (from any type of magic) they hit a problem. Even though the type of worship is the same, the source of the magic is wrong, so they will lose any benefits of being concentrated, and will need to reconcentrate  in Lunar Magic to gain the same level of benefits again)

Does this sound reasonable, or am I barking up completley up the wrong tree?