RE: Enhancement/augmentation

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:08:15 +0200

COPPEAU, Jean-Christophe 00-05-31 19.27

> > Hey, I understand the logic of it perfectly. It's just that it
>happens
> > _way_too_often_.
>
> Sorry for that, didn't want to play the teacher role ;-)
> Still what I do not understand is that it will often happen at the
>begining of the game when the player will have Strength 17 or Divine Strike
>at 17 ( not quite a Hero rating in my opinion, just an honest man, so
>failure from time to time is ok for me ), but will be more than rare if he
>chooses to raise his ability to an heroic 15w1 for example.

Absolutely. It just takes a long time to get to that level, since magic is expensive and most non-magic abilities you can use for enhancement start out at 13.

My concern boils down to two points, I think:

  1. It's not believable in Gloranthan terms. I can't imagine one out of every three or four average weaponthanes getting the shaft from Orlanth. Are we going to fall back on the old gregism that "RuneQuest rules don't represent Gloranthan reality"? Because I thought the point of Hero Wars was specifically to provide rules that _do_ represent Gloranthan reality.
  2. It's the only case in the rules when a marginal defeat in a simple contest has such serious results. It feels more akin to an exchange in an extended contest, and a pretty heavy one at that (one where the optional rule for grievous wounds comes into play).

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg