Re: Randomity and low rolls

From: Jimmie Pursell <pursell_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:04:59 z (MST)

You wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2000, Jimmie Pursell wrote:
>
> > On the whole, I strongly dislike the low roll wins rule and intend to
> > change it in my campaign. Any thoughts?
>
> I just had a go-around about this with Roderick and Robin. The points
> they made were that yes, there is a skewing in the marginal victories, but
> this was considered acceptable for the purposes of keeping it simple.

I would think that high roll wins is just as simple. (Also, sorry to rehash this. I'm late to the list.)

> What I've also realized is that trying to do it any other way breaks too
> many other parts of the process. Simple group contests work this way
> (with failures and fumbles adding 3 or 6 to the best rolls). It also
> softens the effect of bumps. Most of the time, a natural success will be
> better than a bumped success; this makes sense.

Of course, there are a number of points that would need to be modified at this point in time, but it wouldn't be too hard. I've already thought about the group simple contest situation and it would be a simple thing to change the add 3 or 6 to a subtract 3 or 6. I assume the point would be that many little details would have to modified, but I'd argue that it should have been done the other way to begin with and then we wouldn't be in this situation. High roll wins would certainly alleviate many of the concerns I've seen in the archives regarding the hindrances associated with marginal failure in augmentation (marginal failure becoming less likely for the lower resistance numbers). Of course, if this has already been hashed out, I'll probably look at the archives to see if I'm convinced, but thus far, I'm still very disappointed in this aspect.

> This bothered me at first, but I've decided that it's not so bad. In the
> demo game I ran last night, no one complained.

I'll confess, I'm still readying and digesting, so my real play experience may be different, but my initial impressions tend to be lasting ones (deftly avoiding the cliche/pun). I fear that HW is going to be one of those games that I buy, have a blast creating characters, but play very little because the system isn't what I think it should be. Of course, I could just change it. ;)

This email was sent using Inficad(r)
Communications' Free wEb-Mail service!
http://www.inficad.com/mail