Re: HQ for kids

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 04:33:56 -0000

These are excellent ideas! We might try this next time I have to play with kids, although mine now have the standard HQ system down pretty well.

I'd be tempted to just treat all characters as if they were concentrated on "charms" (probably really talents, in HQ terms), which not only enables them to use their magic abilities actively, but also enables them to buy a 1 point improvement for one Hero Point. Not culturally appropriate, of course.

I probably will continue to introduce Hero Point bumps with kids -- I've noticed that the concept of deliberately improving bad rolls goes over well with kids, both in HQ and in another roleplaying game I've tested that has a similar concept.

How did they do with augmenting? I've run into kids who might not be able to do the math -- I've done it for them in some cases: "I'll let you add a +2 bonus on this fight because he's strong."

In any event, thanks for posting these suggestions, and congratulations!

Rob