Re: HQ for kids

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:12:10 -0000

> I haven't seen the kind of disappointment that Rob Davis has in the
> lack of active abilities. Maybe it helps to provide some kind of
> florid description of the effects of the augment, which I try to
> remember to do if the player doesn't provide one. "The jar of acid
> hurled by your thief's Unerring Throw sprouts fins in midair and
> corrects its course straight into the cave monster's dripping fangs.
> monstrous toothache ensues."
>
> Rob

Hi Rob

I must confess that it has always been my view that your description is magic being used actively, hence the big magical description. I guess i see the difference like this. In Harry Potter video games (and movies) there is a spell, wingardian leviosa. You wave your wand and feathers surround the object a lift it. Thats active magic. Its working against a resistance of 14. Now, say you know have a wingardian leviosa charm, you add the auto augment to your strength, but the resistance is the size of the object. I suggest this is the intention of the rules design.

Also, when designing NPC's, you tend to pick common magic based on what abilities they can augment. FREX if you had a healing charm and were concentrated then you wouldn't need a first aid ability at all, which allows for greater freedom. However this may well be what was being legislated against.

Regards
Rob