Re: Enhancement/augmentation; the Hero Wars; etc.

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:43:40 -0700

Jean-Christophe

> As a basic rule, I would give my players automatic success on an
>augmentation which is same level or lower than their mastery, ie:
> Strength at (x)w1 gives an automatic +1 augmentation if asked
> Strength at (x)w2 gives an automatic +2 augmentation if asked

Wow, you are generous. In actual life, 1w only beats 5 about 89% of the time in a simple contest. 1w2 beats 10 about 98% of the time, so that's not so bad.

So I might use this as Narrator guidelines, but would probably make players roll (since I don't expect my players to have double mastery any time soon).

Jimmie wrote

>How long does an augmentation/edge last? One exchange? Duration of
>the extended contest?

Duration of the contest. (Hero Wars is always loose about time -- narration and dramatic structure are what's important, not mechanistic simulation.)

Tim wrote

>As a couple others have noted, I can't really imagine any of the
>groups I've played with being satisfied with most players being
>followers to one player's leader.

We've had PCs as clan chief, but the other players are always powerful political figures (usually on the clan ring).

>Regarding "training for the Hero Wars" - does everyone know they're
>coming and when?

Yes, there are lots of prophecies. Unfortunately, the exact time is uncertain...

Wulf

>How do you treat new Followers BEFORE you spend the HP to 'cement'
>them? In other words, if someone joins your character during
>a scenario, with intent to become a follower, do you get to use
>his/her AP straight away, or must they act as a separate (presumably
>NPC) entity until you cement their assistance after the scenario?

Why wait until after the episode to cement?

Michael

>when the dog men initiated combat in the first scene, the healer
>wanted to use her Self Defense affinity as her defending ability (the one
>that APs get based on). Is it appropriate to use an affinity in this
>manner?

Yes! You can almost always use magic or mundane abilities interchangeably (places you can't, like humans flying, should be obvious :-). As Narrator, you're justified in imposing improvisational modifiers, of course.

>how should one go about determining the abilities
>used to determine the APs? Should it be the abilities used in the first
>exchange?

Yes.

>I'm assuming it's germaine to use an ability in combat to affect
>your opponent for some other purpose than reducing APs. For example, a
>devoteee of Orlanth Adventurous wanted to use use Move Object with Wind to
>fling a stew pot across the room at his opponent. I wound up giving it an
>extra ^2 for suprise value. Would it have also been appropriate to,
>instead of going to reduce APs to say it loses its next action due to
>being stunned?

You could, but since AP represent the overall situation, it's probably simpler to just *describe* the stewed opponent as stunned for a few critical seconds -- that's what his loss of AP represents. I recommend just using the AP system whenever possible.

>A dog man is attacking a hero with his bite (^1). The
>hero is defending with his spear and shield combat ability (^3) and
>wearing leather armor (^2 all together for armor). The dog man bids 5 and
>suffers a marginal defeat. Would the dog man lose just 5 APs, or would it
>lose 8 APs (5 bid plus 3 for the spear)?

I'm sure it's not the latter -- it was the dog man's bid, so the hero is using his defensive rank of 2. If the dog man wins, you'd expect him to do 4 AP (his bite's rank of 1 is smaller than the armor's rank of 2, so he is ^-1), and edges/handicaps are always reflexive.

abohlig wrote:

>We originally thought the low roll wins was a misprint

I'm sure the idea was to have a consistent rule to explain to people: you want to roll low. Unlike Pendragon, where you have to tell beginners: "You want to roll high numbers, but not a 20, that's bad."

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein