Re: Secrets

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:06:39 -0000

As I mentioned in another reply I think most secrets would count as pompous magic or would otherwise violate a standing rule if you tried to improvise them.

> Basically when you play allowing a lot of leeway as to what can be
> considered primary in contest, allow contests to form themselves in
play
> (instead of trying to plan them out), and generally play so that
failure is
> fun, I find that players worry much less about what the most
powerful option
> is, and instead focus on what the most interesting option is.

I think this is the key to the whole thing. If a secret is seen as fun then players will try to get hold of them for just that reason.

I quite like the idea of heroquesting for secrets. When I was trying to work up some mysticism rules that felt right for Teshnos this occurred to me and I like the feel of it more than a rigid interpretation of the rulebook. Learning any otherworld power could be done as a heroquest and as secrets are so rare and special I somehow feel it would almost be an anticlimax to handle them any other way.

--
Nic