Re: Randomity and low rolls

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:47:30 +0200

Timothy Byrd 00-05-31 23.53

>Otherwise (i.e. both have masteries and both have the same number of
>masteries) then low roll gets a marginal victory and tied rolls are no
>effect. Is this correct? It means the rule only applies if both
>sides have exactly one mastery and both roll a fumble, which implies a
>no effect, so why bother? When does the mastery special rule really
>apply?

Ummm, not sure I understand the question.

The "mastery special case" is that if both opponents have masteries, and the same number of them, a failure vs failure is treated as success vs success, i.e. low roll wins. It doesn't change the results of success vs failure. The point of the rule is that you will get into situations with two really skilled fighters squaring off, their masteries cancelling out, and the target numbers becoming 1 vs 2 or some such. With an unmodified result table, this would lead to a lot of flailing in the air. An old draft of the rules had another way of handling this, which was sorta clunky and I'm glad it was changed.

BTW, your probability tables show the same thing I've been griping about in other posts. Thanks for the assist! :-)

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg