Re: Re: Differing Approaches to Augmentation in Simple and Extended Contests

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:41:51 +0000 (GMT)

> > I just wanted to find a rules-based guideline that
> prevented such an
> > overload in the future.
>
> There's no rules-based guideline, because groups
> will have their own ideas
> of how many is too many. Some groups only allow 1
> augment *at all*, others
> 3, others as many as you can convince the GM will
> apply. There is no one
> answer, you'll have to get the feeling of the group
> as to how many they
> think is fine, and how many are too many.

And that will depend on what mood they're in.

Here's a rule of thumb for you - see how many augments the players think will be fun to apply to their characters. Now give the NPCs the same number. If they're in a contest that's suited to their keywords, you can just assume relevant abilities at keyword level. That stops things getting unbalanced.

Oh, and let the players know you're doing this - then they'll stop adding in augments in an attempt to "win" and use them because they're dramatically appropriate.

THe one problem I've had with this method in the past is on the rare occasions when I've bene using a pre-written scenario, and the writer hs only given me "after augment" values for the NPCs, without bothering to say how many augments are assumed to be present, or what the underlying keywords are.

Yahoo! Photos � NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com