Re: Self Defense

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:03:45 -0700

>a healer with a self defense of 19 is more combat ready
>than a thane with a close combat of 18. One approach would be to
>impose a heavy improvisational mod on the healer initiated exchange
>(i.e. any attack by the healer).

In fact, I wouldn't allow any attacks at all with that ability. (How would the player describe it?)

Michael asks

>We have a Healer with a Self Defense
>skill. We have a nasty evil Badguy with a spear who attacks the Healer
>and her friends. They engage in an Extended Contest. At the end the
>Healer has won. How has she triumphed over the Badguy? Since the Badguy
>isn't actually hurt at all at the end of the contest can he go off and
>attack the Healer's friends despite being 'defeated'?

In reverse order: he is at 0 AP or less, and cannot go off and act in the same situation.

He might conceivably be hurt, depending on his AP total -- perhaps he made a desperate leap at the healer and fell flat on his face.

How she triumphed would depend on the narration, but I think the default answer is that the bad guy is so tired and frustrated that he gave up.

Timothy

>When does the mastery special rule really apply?

The idea is, when 2w fights 3w, it should not be the same comical spectacle as a 2 vs 3.

BTW, I can send you my Java skill calculator... (It may not be completely up to date with the latest rules changes -- or there may be a bug.)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein