Re: Magi's Magic

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:40:25 -0400

Antonio wrote:
> I'm going to begin a carmanian serie, and I wonder how do you deal (in
> rule terms) with the magic of the Magi.
YGWV It hasn't come up in my game (yet) but I see them as practicing wizardry, but at such an elevated and abstract level as to be almost a form of mysticism. Their magic, in whatever outward form it takes, comes from achieving near-perfection in purity and understanding so as to become one with the Will of Idovanus. The heirophant is the highest exemplar of this practice, and is actually capable of ascending into the heavens to commune directly with Idovanus. Or he is supposed to, anyway. In my game the current heirophant has yet to needed to do this, and nasty rumors persist that he actually can't maintain the necessary purity. If I had to come up with something to use in my game, I would probably make them powerful Liturgist-Orderlies with an astronomically high piety ability (which also represents spiritual purity) so they can call on divine intervention. I might also allow them to use piety to augment their blessings & spells.

~Kevin McD