RE: Re: My AP problems

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:18:25 +0100

From: Wulf Corbett [mailto:wulfc_at_...]

>Raiders of the Lost Ark. Arab swordsman, 5W. Hah! No problem! Indy
>pulls his gun 1W. Help! What answer has the arab to THAT? Maybe
>'Dodge faster than a speeding bullet 6'? So why can't the arab
>'reset' his AP after that? Well, admittedly, because he's dead...
>however, if Indy had just grazed him, or even just missed, the
>swordsman would have been off-balance, shaken, maybe wounded, his
>plans ruined, his opponent still armed with a possible attack he has
>no defence from (whether he uses it or not, he COULD). OK, not a
>perfect answer, but it's the sort of situation the game mechanic
>represents. And one of the all-time classic movie scenes :)

Oddly enough I think your example supports my point.

If the Arab is first actor, Indy would have to parry the sword with some ability (not the gun, since that's what he does on his turn). Since Harrison Ford was ill at that time (IIRC) he would have had to use some pukey dodge ability. APs would be determined by the arab swordsman's 5W and whatever Indy can muster instead of his 1W gun (which comes later).

Being first actor, IMO, allows you to exploit your opponent's weakness in an unfair, unrealistic way.

Richard