Re: Contest minutiae; Goldeneyes

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 07:41:06 -0700

Alex replies to me:

> > Yes! You can almost always use magic or mundane abilities
> > interchangeably (places you can't, like humans flying, should be
> > obvious :-). As Narrator, you're justified in imposing
> > improvisational modifiers, of course.
>
> The only thing that's interchange is the game mechanic. If the
> described _action_, whether magical or not, isn't appropriate to
> the situation, the ability would be that much less 'appropriate',
> and would likely attract a penalty.

Well, yes. But this isn't any different than using two mundane abilities interchangeably (I can win this argument with my Bullheaded ability or my Keen Wit ability -- one might be more appropriate, especially depending on your defense, but the rules treat each the same. And if I were a Gloranthan, I could use my Impress Audience feat. Again, no difference except possibly in contextual appropriateness.).

> > >how should one go about determining the abilities
> > >used to determine the APs? Should it be the abilities used in the first
> > >exchange?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> No. ;-) (That's a reasonable rule of thumb, perhaps, but not to the
> point of flouting common sense.)

It's a rule of law, see p. 129, p. 137.

> Currently I'm toying with the notion of making edges and handicaps
> somewhat _more_ common in combat.

We've found that edges slow things down in combat -- better to try to find ways to make them less common in my opinion. (Luckily, weapon ranks are an optional rule.)

Rusty

> See p 85 of the Narrator's book: "Goldeneye Horses"
> It describes that certain grazers "who have succeeded at the Goldeneye
> quest" can use these horses to augment their rider's abilities. (I *think*
> thats what it says)
> When I first read it, I thought they meant add AP's during extended
> contests, like followers.
> Now I guess I *dont* think that, but maybe its reasonable if someone has a
> similar special ability (like having completed a relevant quest)?

It says that the Goldeneye may *augment* any ability. The key words here are augment (which is not adding AP) and any (since most followers have a limited range of abilities they can augment).

Of course, I don't think "any" really means "any" -- though a semi-telepathic horse could indeed help in a huge variety of situations.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein