Re: More on augments...

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 07:40:28 -0500

>From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
>
>Getting a +30 on a HP for a whole contest seems a lot to me. They only
>give you a temporary bump for one action! People would never bump
>anymore, if they can use augments. Is that what you want?

Well, HP for bumping are used after the fact. So I think they'd still be used. OTOH, if you're saying that players would, largely, just augment to the extent that failure became impossible...well that depends on the HP flow. If they only have very few HP, then this is impossible for every contest.

>Would you then give HP to NPCs, so allow them to super-augment like this?

I don't augment with NPCs, per se, I simply select a resistance that seems appropriate. So, yes, I think it's non-problematic to set a resistance that makes the contest interesting. OTOH, yeah, if I'm setting resistance post augment, it might start to seem arbitrary, because I'm matching the number of augments. And if I'm doing it pre-augment, then augmenting may shoot way past the interesting range at times.

Perhaps half-augments would work better. I'm assuming that Ashley is doing this because he dislikes the inelegance of breakpoints. I'll stick with normal augments, because I don't mind breakpoints for abilities, since they can also be used as primary (even "Passive" abilities in some cases).

Mike