Re: Shamans and Mykka

From: jakyer_at_...
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:52:29 -0400

Glad you liked her. She really helped bring the adventure into sharp focus. When I first wrote the Chasing Kites, she was a bit of a throwaway but as I worked on the adventure, I realised that she was the focus of the entire trip. A little Orlanthi morality tale, as it were.

Jeff

P.S. I think Mykka was Bryan Thexton's idea.

P.P.S. There's a simply wonderful panting of her (and of some kites) in the HQ-rpg list's file section. I belive it is called "Phantome" and its from the French printing of the game.

Shamans and Mykka
Posted by: "LightCastle" lightcastle_at_... light.castle Thu Oct 5, 2006 10:17 am (PST)
I think that view holds up. A Practitioner can deal with a hostile spirit (although I would still be tempted to say that they are in more trouble than a Shaman when dealing with one completely outside their traditions) in the Mundane world.

It's going over into the spirit world where the Shaman has a huge advantage, as you say.

This is all good for the game I'm starting now, which has a young Grazer who is acting as the spirit talker for a Heortling clan. He's a practitioner, so I like giving him leeway to deal with foreign spirits, but only when they are dealing with the mundane world.

As for Mykka, I am tempted to use Chasing Kites as the intro scenario for this game. It's fun, it gives the wonderful Mykka character, it is a simple introduction, and it will give the Grazer something cool to do with some of the ghosts of the table being spirits.

LC