RE: Re: Getting injured (etc) multiple times - cumulative wounds

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:37:27 -0600

>From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
>
>I wasn't advocating any form of player/GM stakes
>negotiation before the conflict started (as suggested
>by Vincent Baker in DiTVY) but waiting 'til after the
>contest is resolved and saying to the player:
>
>"Okay, you lost. What happened?"

Well, yeah, again if it's important to ensure that the player likes the result, I do this, too. It's really the same thing as Stake Setting, just done after the die roll. So there will be times when it's warranted. So, in this context, you're giving good advice, Ash.

But it still isn't the same as having somebody else inflict the pain on your character. There's something to that. So I do it myself as GM, unless, again, I think that I might make a mistake. So the other poster is right that it's probably not something to do with most players all of the time.

This is all pretty much covered in the "Failure is Always an Option" article: http://www.glorantha.com/support/na_defeat.html

These techniques are tools that are great for certain situations. But the old standard "GM narrates outcome" works just fine, too, and is often superior.

Mike

Add a Yahoo! contact to Windows Live Messenger for a chance to win a free trip!
http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline