Re: Re: Character Generation

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:23:15 +0000 (GMT)

> >Probably a difference in what we regard as
> "complex",
> >then. To me, having to spend hours doing sums is
> >complexity I'd much rather avoid.
>
> Hours to add up twenty points? I understand you're a
> programmer? Surely you jest.

No, because there's a lot more to it than adding up 20 points. The break-points from a +1 to a +2 augment and from +2 to +3 have to be allowed for. You don't increase a 13 ability to 14, you increase it to 15 and then stop. Check which abilities overlap between keywords and how high that takes them to. Work out the comparative value of increasing an affinity against increasing just one feat. If you're not concentrated, that's a negative, how many points do you now have to put into the magic to hit the next augment breakpoint? Are you more likely to use an ability as lead (so any increase is good), or as an augment only? Do we have to allow for the phase of the moon, and what does that do to break-points at different stages?

Like you say in another post, the fact that the limits exist tell me that this is what the game at this point is about. And I play it thoroughly, or not at all. I'd always use a spreadsheet to model the various options, and I'd expect to take several hours over it.