Re: Re: Character Generation

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:05:45 +0000 (GMT)

> ...I would almost
> certainly do as Jane suggests.
>
> Because I'm a munchkin? Draw your own conclusions on
> that. But given
> that I'm using to making Champions characters, I'd
> certainly do the
> tiny amount of arithmetic Jane suggests here. I
> wouldn't call it munchkinism personally;

No, nor would I.

Trying to think why I'd do it, and why I dislike it...

I'm being presented with limits on how many points I can have, and how I can spend them, and the result will control what my character can do, later on. "Obviously", this is a mathematical puzzle in optimisation, which "has" to be solved before one can proceed. So, I solve it, to the best of my ability. It would not occur to me to do so in a sloppy or half-hearted way. And yes, I'm a programmer, though not a statistician, so "the best of my ability" is that sort of level.

The concept of "pick the one skill you're really interested in and slap ten on it" will never work for me anyway, because I'm never going to come up with a character so simple that they've only got one big-number skill.

> I'd call it "character optimisation", which is
> indeed DISTINCT from the "story needs" of the
> character, but not OPPOSED to same.

Yes... I think my problem is this
left-brain/right-brain thing. Sure, I can do logic and sums. That's my job. But if I'm designing a character, I'm using the creative/intuitive side of things, and switching to the other half of the brain is jarring and unpleasant and I don't want to do it. If there are going to be limits on how I can define my character, I'd far rather they used the side of the brain I'm using to create it - plot, story, words.