Re: Benefits of Illumination

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:02:14 -0000

How does this work with the idea that some devotees put their time in through their daily occupation? IIRC one of the classic examples was Issaries - who could devote and spend most of their time being a merchant and this would count as time spent emulating their god and hence count towards the 60%.

If we used this approach then an Illuminate who devoted to multiple merchant gods would perhaps be able to fulfill their time commitments because most of the time they are being a merchant and this counts towards their time emulating their god(s). They would still have to find a bit more time to turn up to more services etc but for an itinerant subcult failure to attend formal services would be tolerable and even somewhat expected.

>Also, you're not immune to a mortal observing that you never
> show up on Thed's Holy Days, and that you've grown horns and and
> poison-slimed tentacles...

Also worth noting that people anywhere near the Lunar Empire have a vague idea about Illumination and will have stories of Gbaji to warn them of precisely such behaviour.

> Godly (10w4+) levels of Seventh Soul would allow you to godly things
(like
> levitate, or ignore walls because "they are part of the All"), but
that's
> because you've got God-like ability ratings, not simply that you're
> Illuminated.

So with sufficiently high improv penalties the ability can be used to resist any aspect of the all?

One of the things I noticed in the way the rules work is that any non-cloistered Illuminate will tend to meet challenges from the All pretty well beyond any possible starting ability so a. They will increase their Seventh Soul ability very fast b. They will spend most of their time occluded.

Is that the impression other people get from the rules?

--
Nic