Re: Grimoires and Casting

From: John Galloway <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 05:24:58 -0000

As I understand it...

A Talisman is connected to a Spell Node on the Magic Plane and acts as a conduit of magical energy when the spell is cast using the skill rating for that spell.

A Grimoire is connected to a Founders Node on the Saint Plane which is, in turn, connected to multiple Spell Nodes on the Magic Plane. It also can act as a conduit of magical energy when one of the spells connected to the Founders Node is accessed THROUGH the Founders Node. This activity uses the appropriate Use Grimoire skill.

If I understand your question correctly what you're asking is...

  1. Can a talisman-like item be connected to the Founders Node and thence on to one (and only one, presumably) of the associated Spell Nodes?
  2. If so, would casting the spell with this item use the caster's Use Grimoire skill rating (instead of using their rating in the skill for that particular spell, if they have one)?

Surely the answers to these questions come down to the specifics of how magic works behind the scenes. So, unless the way magic works in your game world is indistinguishable (down to this level of detail) from the Gloranthan model, does it particularly matter what the 'official' answer is?

Still, its a fascinating question and I'll be interested to see what other (especially Roderick etc.) think.

Thanks,