Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 02:25:25 -0000

> > Make a test!
>
> But all you've done is turn the problem round. A test
> against what?

Against the difficulty of delivering the message before nightfall, given the current situation

> > So long as the narrator is consistent, what does it
> > matter?
>
> They need to *be* consistent, that's the entire point.
> So if ten miles in 4 hours is difficulty 14 today, it
> needs to be 14 tomorrow, as well.

Um. Not really - How far away do you live from where you work? How long does it take you to get there? How much longer does it take if it's chucking it down with rain? How much quicker can you do it if the Schools are on Holiday? How much longer does it take if you start 5 minutes later? How long does it take to travel the same distance through the centre of Birmingham, during rush-hour, allowing for the roadworks? Along a free-flowing Motorway? Assuming that you can ignore the speed limit?

Now you *could* set a resistance for "Getting to work on time" based on distance and augment it with all the other modifiers - but it seems to me that in general "Getting to work on time" is something that shouldn't normally require a roll - and when it does, your better off assigining a suitable resistance taking all the factors in to account and narrating the outcome accordingly.

> Doing it in 2 hours
> should be harder.

Of course

>So you have a conversion table.

Well, you *could*, but I think that trying to provide a comprehensive conversion table is likely to cause more problems than it solves, because HQ is "Conflict resolution" not "Task Resolution", so doesn't scale in the same way. (If your walking speed is abstracted to 4MPH, and you have to travel 10 miles then you take 2.5 hrs - No contest required. Doing it in 2 Hours requires walking at 5MPH. So you set a resistance for that - say 14, for the sake of argument. Would you use the same resistance for walking 1 mile in 12 minutes? 40 miles in 8 Hours? 100 miles in 20 hours? 180 miles in 6 days, assuming you can walk for 6 hours each day?