Re: Tricky situations List

From: Mandacaru <samclau_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:30:05 -0000

"nichughes2001" wrote:
> One other thing which I have never managed to narrate well is the
Grand Staredown before a contest. As seen in many a martial arts movie or western gunfight scene. My problems is how to make it as narratively significant as it is when you watch it in the cinema.

In rules terms, this would likely have an equivalent in Orlanthi starting a contest (whichever type) with boasting abilities.

The real reason I´m writing this post, though, is that this reminded me of Greg´s story at the end of Gloranthan Visions. The blokey faces several opponents in what should be martial contests, but uses non-martial abilities to send them packing.

If written up as an example, that (or something along those lines) would be a great exposition of how to use all these interesting abilities beyond Hit with Sharp/Blunt Object.

The other great example (an I know Nic agrees with me on this) is the classic Ernaldan crone facing off with the warriorly (!) bullyboy using Scold and so on - that one has to go in the book, but it might be neat to convert it to a scifi example or whatever.

Sam.