Re: HeroQuest for Supers...

From: vurt500 <Toksickburn_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:57:54 -0000

> Here are some of the reasons:
> - Duplicating heroes. I couldn't see any real way to do this in HQ,
> without some sort of mega handwave augment. There is a similar > issue
with transforming heroes.

Are you saying, its difficult to stat up superheroes from well known comicbooks in a "simulationist" (getting everything right) way ?

If so, i kind of agree. On the other hand why do you want to do it ?

HQ is about stories.

Writing up characters in HQ is lots of fun, but its not like GURPS for instance where you can do lots of tricky stuff to get the best hero possible (balancing disadvantages for more points, etc.).

> - HQ doesn't seem to handle ranged combat particularly well, >and much
of the supers genre contains ranged combat.

Not true at all, although its tricky to wrap your head around it at the beginning. There is an essay on the issaries website - have a look !

> - Some concepts (the equivalent of a Hero System Variable >Power Pool)
actively encourage the worst sort of abuses in >HeroQuest (as in "get one really big ability, and default >everything to it").

I think a game system is not the right one for a group if they try to find a way to abuse certain aspects of the rules.

HQ is about story first, not rules.

> It just seemed to me that my players (powergamers all, just like >me)
would push and break HeroQuest too easily.

Might be true. HQ is very suited for playing powerful characters but not for gaining as much butt-kick-powers as possible, because that is not what the rules are about. The rules support story.

best

Christian