Ranks and edges.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:38:15 +0100 (BST)

Mikael Raaterova:
> Not that i use ranks, but if the rank functions an edge it *does*
> count toward your opponent's AP loss when you win an exchange
> *wherein you use your sword against your opponent* (unless someone
> changed the rules for edges *again*).

The rank doesn't function as an edge; the rules are fairly explicit about this. Rather, they are used to _compute_ an edge or handicap, _for the aggressor_.

> I try to play the Game, not the Rules. The Rules should be fitted to
> the game, not vice versa.

Now that, I have to agree loudly with. If what the rules say about ranks (such as that they exist, or that they're not symmetric) offends thee, pluck them out.

Cheers,
Alex.