Re: Ranks and edges.

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:54:08 +0200

Alex F:
>Mikael Raaterova:
>> Not that i use ranks, but if the rank functions an edge it *does*
>> count toward your opponent's AP loss when you win an exchange
>> *wherein you use your sword against your opponent* (unless someone
>> changed the rules for edges *again*).
>
>The rank doesn't function as an edge; the rules are fairly explicit
>about this. Rather, they are used to _compute_ an edge or handicap,
>_for the aggressor_.

There i go. Never trust a Rules Consultant. Oh, but since Alex is one of Them, where does that leave us?

Not that it changes the point that i was trying to make, namely that sword ranks being ineffective visavi Actor's loss of AP doesn't mean that counter-attacks are inapplicable as defender actions.

> > I try to play the Game, not the Rules. The Rules should be fitted to
>> the game, not vice versa.
>
>Now that, I have to agree loudly with.

Who in their right mind wouldn't?

>If what the rules say about
>ranks (such as that they exist, or that they're not symmetric) offends
>thee, pluck them out.

Done that already.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]