Re: Spirit Combat

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:41:16 -0700

> If a fear spirit attacks a non-shaman character, what skills can he use to
> defend and attack the spirit?
> Can he use his highest magic ability? Or does he have to use a skill like
> Strong Willed?
> If yes to the latter, if he doesn't have any such skill, is his resistance
> the default 14 or skill default 6, and does that only account for
defending
> or defending and attacking?

As already noted, he uses his best, most appropriate skill. If his best magical skill is something like "Defend against Spirits" then that is the one to use. If it is an affinity for Earthworms, then it probably isn't (unless your player can come up with a real doozy of an explanation!)

Note that if he defeats the Fear Spirit in this combat, it will just go away unless he has the Spirit Combat ability (or similar). With the Spirit Combat ability, he can get an immediate 1-use task out of the spirit (this could include "go bug that guy over there" or possibly even "never bother me again" if he got a high enough victory). If he just happened to have an appropriate empty fetish lying around, he could even bind the spirit (though happening to have a convenient empty fetish lying around is a low probablility event.).

RR