Re: Kolating spirit hunting.

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:20:13 -0700

>>No, not common magic.
>
> Because if it's a spirit in the mundane world, it can only be made into a
> charm by somebody who understands the common magic religion precept? Which
> could be almost anyone, correct? You don't have to be an animist per se to
> learn how to get such a charm.

I was assuming that these weren't Mundane world spirits, but Spirit World ones that the hero was catching. If it's a mundane world one, then it becomes a CM charm, and yes, anyone (mostly) can do it. (MW Spirits "live" in the mundane world, SW ones "live" in the spirit world. Practice and tradition spirits are Spirit World ones.)

>> > Secondly if practice spirits cannot be increased then it would be odd
>> > that strange spirits that he encounters could be.
>>
>>Page 134 - Common Magic Charms, last paragraph. Bad rule (back in Common
>>Magic), IMO.
>
> The rationale I last heard was that spirits from the Spirit World do not
> learn and grow. Only spirits native to the mundane world can do that. Like
> people, for instance.

Dunno who said it, but I disagree. If it's popped into a charm/fetish, it can't grow no matter where it came from. But that's not really a rules question, but Deep Glorantha.

>>Even Shamans don't make captured spirits part of a Tradition/Practice.
>>Being
>>part of a Tradition/Practice is a link between the Spirit and the
>>Great/Majestic Spirit, not between the Spirit and a Mortal.
>
> Which said link makes it possible for practitioners who know the Majestic
> Spirit in question to bind the linked practice spirits.

Yes.

That's why it's the "Follower/Worshipper of [Great/Majestic Spirit]" that is used to bind the spirit, rather than, say, Spirit Face. You're telling the spirit "Get in this fetish/charm, 'cause your lord and Master says I can have you" (or "Get in there or I'll tell on you to your Lord & Master and he'll punish you" or other variations). You're using your relationship with the Great/Majestic Spirit to make his "follower" join you as a charm/fetish.

> I almost always stack the deck regarding my character's magic, and take
> abilities like "Talented with Befriending Spirits" or the like. For a
> theist
> it might be "Destined to Serve Destor." A current Galvosti wizard
> character
> has "Aptitude for Tapping."

We won't get into the whole powergaming issue again :-).

> I will say that it's often very interesting to be able to do something
> that
> your cult says you shouldn't be able to do.

Yes, *BUT* *I* think it should only be used sparingly, not every time you make a hero.

Now, I *am* really busy doing a layout project (Score that one, Bingo fans) so I'm going away.

RR