Re: After the Demo Dust settles

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 18:32:11 +0100

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 23:56:12 +0100, Tim Ellis <tim_at_...> wrote:

>> A dog man is attacking a hero with his bite (^1). The
>>hero is defending with his spear and shield combat ability (^3) and
>>wearing leather armor (^2 all together for armor). The dog man bids 5
>>and suffers a marginal defeat. Would the dog man lose just 5 APs, or
>>would it lose 8 APs (5 bid plus 3 for the spear)?
>
>As I understand it, the results would be
>Dog looses 2X - Dog bid 5, 2x5 10 points lost
>Dog looses 1X - Dog looses 5 Points
>Hero looses 1X - Dog bid 5, +^1 (bite) -^2 (armour) = 4 points lost
>Hero looses 2X - 2x(5+^1-^2) = 8 points lost
>
>The heroes +3^ for Sword & Shield only come into play on his turn - if
>he bids 5 too then the net results would be
>loose 2X - 10 points
>loose 1X - 5 Points
>win 1X 5+^3 = 8
>win 2X 2x(5+^3) =16

I've been thinking about this, and it just makes no sense for a defensive tactic involving a weapon to ignore the weapon itself! Best example:
Attacker: Bison Rider using Lance Charge Attack (with 50 followers) Defender: Man-and-a-Half using Spearwall (with Impi)

Now, shieldwall is a 100% defensive tactic against a charge. You ground the spear butt, aim the point, and wait, while a damned big lance backed by a couple of tons of irate bison heads straight for a point 6 inches behind your breastbone... You cannot attack, you cannot move. Under the above rule, you may as well be unarmed, or use bits of string... The weapon rank is an essential feature of this, and any other, weapon defence, be it Spearwall, Whirling Blade Defence, or just simple Spear, sword or even axe (with or without shield). The potential harm that can be inflicted by the weapon is an integral part of the defence.

Wulf