Re: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: Glorantha, HeroQuest and metamagic (moved from WoG)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 21:21:06 +0100 (BST)

> Magical and Mundane abilities differ when they are
> the "attacking" ability,.
> but not when they are the "defending" one. There is
> no penalty for Dodging a
> fireball as opposed to using "Reflect magic". Both
> are used at full value,
> there is no penalty because "Dodge is a mundane
> ability".

But from what you're saying, if the fireball was mundane not magical (Mostali?), then the abilities you could usefully use to defend against it would alter? Or am I still confused? Given three possibilities:

a) basic 14
b) mundane personal ability > 14
c) magical personal ability > 14

which ones get ruled out or altered depending on whether the attack is mundane or magical?

> >> (figuring that if you're not "In love 5w",
> >> you're not really In
> >> Love, I suppose - "In Love 17" is pretty weak,
> and
> >> would probably fall under "potential partner").

>... Your PC is married. But even if they put

> their
> > precious 20 points into the relationship with
> their
> > spouse, they're not really going to be in love by
> this yardstick.

> A nice narrator might waive some cost to make a
> strong relationship :-).

Or in other words, you might have to ignore the rules because they don't work...

> I must say that I didn't write those resistances, so
> I won't try to speak for whoever did...

Fair enough.

> While I agree that the Char Gen system doesn't give
> you that "Love Wife 10W"
> that your character description seems to indicate,
> it also doesn't give you
> that "Clan Champion level Swordsmanship 10w3" that
> your description would indicate, either.

No, but that's not the same case at all. Your interpretation of the rules (which seems on the face of it to be reasonable), combined with the chargen rules, says that not only can you not have "clan champion" in there in any useful way (reasonable), you can't have "married" either. And "married" isn't exactly an exotic or advanced idea.