Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:57:28 -0700

>Hang on, I might be misunderstanding something. (And perhaps this goes to
>the
>rules list?)

Yes, it should, as it is much more rules oriented...

>On July 16, 2007 12:54 pm, Chris Lemens wrote:
>> On the second point, I would note that popping a fetish is a truly mighty
>> magic -- it adds the entire ability (not just a 1/10th augment) to the
>> underlying ability. However, the spirit has to make its way back to the
>> user. I think this is currently fairly balanced in that an initiate can
>> improvise any feat any number of times, but suffers a -10 penalty.

>However, the animist can use the fetish ability as an active ability at
>full
>value any number of times without releasing the fetish, right? Or have I
>totally misunderstood that?

No, you haven't, but that's not the same as "popping" a fetish -

Fetishes have several different "modes" of use.

1 - as a charm with multiple "always on" bonuses.

2 - as a active ability

3 - "popped" the spirit is released from the fetish, and *adds* to the user's applicable ability.

Example: You have a fetish with a Fire Bear spirit in it. I (as narrator) determine that this spirit has threee abilities: FireFur 5w, Strength of the Bear 20, and Find Fish 17.

As a charm, you can add a bonus of +2 in combat (Strength or Firefur (while it's not stated, I would restrict the actual bonus to a single spirit ability, under the "no double dipping" concept), or +2 when trying to survive in the wilderness (Find Fish), etc. these bonuses are "always on" (see "Tradition Spirits and Charms" page 134, "Practice Spirits and Fetishes" page 136)

You can call on the spirit's ability to help you as an active ability without releasing it. - You decide to use "Strength of the Bear 20" to uproot a tree, frex, because that's better than your default "Strong 6".

Finally, you can "pop" the fetish - release the Bear spirit to aid you in a much more powerful way. The bear *adds* its rating to your ability. You're fighting a walktapus, and you pop the fetish to gain "Firefur". So "Firefur 5w" is added to your your normal "Spear fighting 17" for a total abilty rating of 2w2. The drawback of popping a fetish is that the spirit has to go to its otherworld home before returning to the fetish, which takes a day or so in most circumstances.

RR