Re: rules; relationships

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:43:48 -0700

> I've been playing RPGs since 1976, and I'm having a hard time grasping them.

For what it's worth, I've been playing almost as long, and I never had a hard time grasping them -- except that I hadn't grasped them at all (admittedly, these were the playtest rules, and they've since been clarified).

It probably depends on what you're expecting. If you want a next generation RuneQuest or a detailed simulation, you'll have a harder time. If you want an easier way to play Glorantha, you'll probably be well rewarded.

Michael asked

> >We played the game for over a year, and the only time we got
> >ridiculous results was a consequence of a rule that's been changed.
>
> As a matter of idle curiosity, which rule was that?

The original extended contest system had very common transfers, which meant that beating a tough opponent pumped you up so that you would find it much easier to beat the next opponent. This led to some ridiculous results, but we've never seen anything close to that since the chart was changed.

Douglas asked

> > Typically not -- this gives him an ability like Relationship:
> > Voshfrei Clan. (In my Ralios game, this would give you one
> > clan-specific magical ability, but not in my Jrusteli game.)
>
> Is that because you are playing with two slightly different
> interpretations/feels, or because your Ralian culture has extra magical
> abilities compared to the Jrusteli?

Because I'd previously defined Ralian clans as having hereditary powers. But I don't think most communities give you any sort of abilities -- the relationship itself is the key thing. Having the potential backing of 1000 people is pretty cool.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein