Re: One System to Rule Them All (Was: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: How Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?)

From: Jakob Pape <chaomancer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:57:51 +0100

On 7/27/07, Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:

> John Mahcin:
> > > I assume that "appropriate" tools are +3, which
> > might be a rule of sorts too.
>
> LC:
> > Ultimately, I think equipment bonuses are a style
> > and preference thing. I
> > don't like having to add a +3 for "appropriate
> > equipment" almost all the time
> > (the right clothes, the proper lockpicks, ....
>
> yes, this is what I dislike about it. Unless combat is
> a special case (and why should it be?), all it means
> is you add +3 to everything, every time.

That was exactly why I dropped equipment bonuses from my game. Especially odd, to me, was the fact that you would never roll against, say, your Sword Combat total: either you have a sword, in which case you get a bonus, or you don't - in which case it's an improvisation penalty.

Simpler not to have the bonus, and just use augments from the rating of any equipment you've bought for your character.

Seems like this was a pretty common house rule.

--
Jakob Pape

"Sometimes subtlety comes in the form of large explosions and jammed open
airlock doors."