Re: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:01:27 +0100 (BST)

> >From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
> >
> >And, dragging us away from combat and back to
> contests
> >again, how about the guy who ran the first
> marathon?
> >Delivered his message in time, then dropped dead of
> >exhaustion. Complete victory: and the protagonist
> ends
> >up "dying".

Mike:
> It's a matter of framing the contest.

maybe - if the player lets you in advance. But...

> Player: My character wants to run all the way to
> Marathon to deliver the message.
> Narrator (Measuring Map): Dude, that's like, 26
> miles 385 yards... that'd
> probably kill him to get there running all the way.
> Player: That's fine.

But this is where I see the conversation diverging.

Player: So, if I agree I don't mind being dead of exhaustion, the resistance is easier, right? I get a bonus?
GM: Sure!
Player: OK. How much?
GM: Er.... well, let's see, it's 26 miles, you've got to do it in 3 hours to be in time. Probably. That means.... (opens up Trader Princes, and consults the wonderful Travel Table in there) - yeah, it's that much for doing it at normal speed, and add this much for doing it silly fast."
Player: yeah, and that's way more than I can manage from my Run Fast even with all the augments, so what's the bonus for not minding dying?
GM: Er... (looks for table, fails to find one). Tell you what, how about you roll, and every extra level of success you need, I'll knock you down one level of damage, right?

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html