Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:01:58 +0100

Rob Davis:

> Where is this in any literature or film? Nearly all fights normally end
> when one guy makes a telling blow. Which the native HQ system simulates
> beautifully.

There seem to me to be two flaws with this argument. Firstly, RPGs are not literature or film (as has been pointed out frequently of late). The absence of a particular feature in literature or film therefore has nothing whatever to say about whether or not it should be absent in RPGs. It demonstrates that the particular feature does not *have* to be present, sure, but it doesn't say that it can't be, or that it's inherently undesirable. That will depend on what you want out of the game.

The second flaw, of course, is that it exists in multiple instances in literature (probably less so in film, since the need to wrap things up in a couple of hours often counts against it). Not the D&D spiral of attrition, certainly, but instances where the victor still walks away with an impairing injury - sure.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic