Re: Ridiculous circular marathon arguments

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:23:13 -0000

Guys,

I refer you to my post

specifically this bit regarding said marathon runner,

"well, here is a thought, maybe he suffered a complete defeat, which is why he died. Not all failures on die rolls have to mean 'failure to complete a task'. Its like the classic 'Library Use Roll'. The character has to find the right reference in the library to progress the story, so failing is not a dramatic option. Thus when he fails his roll something bad (ie interesting) happens, like they get attacked by cultists, get trapped by fire, etc etc."

So, this is how it goes,

Player: I want to get a message to Pandocles about the defeat that we have just had. I want to get there before midday.

GM: Thats quite tough, the resistance will be very high and you are out of hero points.

Player: I just have to do it, or all is lost.

GM assigns resistance, player rolls and suffers a complete defeat.

Player: But he must get the message through.

GM: Well, he has suffered a complete defeat. I tell you what, you get the message through, but at what cost?

Player: I know, he gives the messgage then collapses dramatically in front of the king and the assembled nobles, how cool is that!!?

GM: Cool, then thats what happens!

Now, maybe it was a convention game and the above was the denouement. maybe it was early on and the player takes a new character.

The thing is its all about framing and interpereting the die rolls in a way that is agreeable with the player and the GM, the GM being the final arbiter.

I find this kind of play far more intuitive and fluid. Its a more natural way of playing, which is well supported by Heroquest. HQ as an engine requires players and GM's to improvise drama off a few rules and die rolls. This is what is different from more traditional types of rpg systems where, for example, a spell works in a clearly defined way.

Regards
Rob