Re: How do I make a charm?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 08:05:36 +0100 (BST)

> >"Only as far as I can see, it isn't "described
> above". What am I missing? "
>
> That it's actually described *below*, on page 137...

Ah! (scrolls down to p137)

> The rules for making charms got moved,
> the "described above" reference didn't.

Isn't proof-reading fun?

> Making a practice Charm is (almost) exactly the same
> as making a Tradition
> Charm. The contest (for both Practice and Tradition
> Charm) is, as mentioned,
> on page 137. You use either Follower of Majestic
> Spirit (Practice) or Worship
> Great Spirit (Tradition) as the main ability.

OK.

> This *does* assume that you
> have somehow contacted the spirit in question -
> almost invariably this means
> that you're standing in a Open Spirit World circle

In this case since we know the spirit's around, I take it just Spirit Face will do the job?

>"Only friendly or neutral spirits from within
> the tradition can be placed into charms, not
> foreign spirits (even if friendly) or hostile ones."

> So unless you want to make it secretly a
> tradition spirit,...

In fact, we had this in mind anyway. Mainly as a plot device, so my PC can think "WTF is a spirit from MY tradition doing here????" (she's Darjinni, near the Upland Marsh).

But what's this "can't" use non-tradition spirits? Greater difficulty, sure, but "can't"? A -40 or so for not being in the tradition I could understand, but "can't" just isn't how HQ works. So what's going on?

LC:
>And if it is a spirit you've given ANY personality
> to, I would go for making it a fetish, not a charm.)

Personality? Me? As if I would.... It's an idea, but making a fetish is considerably harder, isn't it? Otherwise no-one would ever make mere charms.

P136, 137
"The practitioner matches his Follower of [Majestic  Spirit] ability against a resistance determined by the spirit�s attitude. Any victory establishes a Friendship with [Practice Spirit] at 13;"

I take it the same goes for a non-practice spirit. So that's the same as the contest to make a charm, so far.

"Contest: Befriend a Spirit
Appropriate Abilities: Follower of [Majestic Spirit]. Typical Modifiers and Augments:
[Practice] Knowledge;
ritual magic;
established friendship with spirits hostile to the new one (penalty).
Community support cannot aid this contest. Resistance: See �Spirit Attitude� on page 132 to determine the resistance.
Any Victory: The practice spirit is bound into a fetish."

So about the only difference is you can't use community support. Well, since she hasn't got any anyway (a sorceror observing, and a large bear on mundane guard), might as well go for that. I think a ritual might be called for, for a few more augments.

er... OK, on to a Q about rituals. I don't have any special items or anything, I was just going to spend some time chanting and dancing and so on. I can't find which table gives me the bonus for that.

Oh, and on that "personality" thing, here's what I narrated as a description of the HP spend when it appeared:

The dart flies forward and down,
as as she lands she assesses its arc through the air. No. Still not enough. It was going to... and then the dart levels out, flying flat, and speeding up. What the..... she switches over to her spirit face, wondering what's going on. As she had thought. A spirit is carrying the dart, driving it onward and into a crack in the dwarven armour. The dwarf slaps at the pinprick, driving the dart further in: then starts to stagger. A few more paces, and he falls.

That problem neutralised, she turns her attention to the strange spirit, now dancing around the fallen body. "Why...?" Basic concepts are all you can get across, to a stranger. And all they can communicate back, too. She "gets" tinkling laughter, and joy. "Gottim, gottim, gottim, FUNfunfun bad thing.... gottim!" And it dances away.

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html