Re: How do I make a charm?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 12:42:41 +0100 (BST)

> > But what's this "can't" use non-tradition spirits?
> > Greater difficulty, sure, but "can't"? A -40 or so
> for
> > not being in the tradition I could understand, but

> > "can't" just isn't how HQ works. So what's going
> on?

> I think it is can't in the sense that you haven't
> been taught how to negotiate with outside spirits, a
> shaman has and uses his shamanistic powers to
> negotiate on his own behalf. Without that you are
> using the influence of you Great Spirit to make the
> spirit tow the line.

Surely negotiating with an "outside" spirit works along the same lines as with an "outside" person? Can you communicate with them? Yes: Spirit Face. (Easier than with a human, troll, dwarf etc who may not speak your language). Can you get them to be friends? Sure. Why not? You don't make friends with a human you meet in the bar by threatening them with your dad, so why would you threaten a spirit with a bigger spirit?

> And from the context of meeting the spirit you have
> a basis of friendship. You both dislike the dwarf.
> And from my insider knowledge of you hero she seems
> more likely to be keen on making friends with it
> than binding it into servitude. :-))

That's a very good point, and a distinction between charms and fetishes that hadn't occured to me. charm = bind into servitude
fetish = provide a friend with a home
Is that right?

Hmm, possibly some of her existing charms need converting to fetishes... I'll have to think about that.

It may well be easier for her to produce a fetish than a charm; she can augment with "makes friends easily" and all sorts of other useful stuff.

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html