Re: Alleged AP Problems.

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 10:45:36 +0200

Alex Ferguson 00-06-03 02.57

>I don't see that the non-linearities that
>spring to mind in HW are much like that, though. For one thing,
>they're cyclic, in that they recur every 20 points of the scale...
>Thus 'beginner's luck' only applies if you consider that it applies
>every time you're a 'beginner' to a new level of mastery.

More like 'beginner's unluck', really. What happens is that each time you've just gained a mastery, you become more vulnerable to the real masters (those that are two bumps or more up on you). This is inevitable because ability ratings are infinitely scalable, while degrees of success aren't. And nobody wants to see the return of the super-critical, do they? :-)

Jonas Schiött
The Cut-Ups Project

Bright indications singe
cool undisciplined hours