Re: Spirit question; Runelords and RunePriests; Vanganth

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 09:44:24 -0700

Jonas wrote:

> what gets me is how the HW rules have divvied up the chores.
>
> Small to medium-sized spirits: ecstatic worship
>
> Big spirits: sacrificial worship
>
> Gods: misapplied ecstatic worship

I'm not sure I understand where these divisions come from. Yu-kargzant is a pretty big spirit, and he gets ecstatic worship.

(Apparently, in the days before the Feathered Horse Queen, he was getting sacrificial worship, a concept introduced by the vendref.)

I don't think there's really a difference in size between a great spirit and a god. That one has a different form of worship from the other is perhaps an accident of birth more than anything (and it appears that many entities can transcend this, like Urox/Storm Bull).

David

> >It looks like the concept of Runelord disppeared from HW ? Maybe was it
> >"gregged" into something else ?
>
> I take RuneLord (which is really a relic of RQ2 - the term
> was getting rather fuzzy in meaning in RQ3) to be the rough
> equivalent of Devotee plus being recognised by cult hierarchy as a
> RuneLord, or more likely the local equivalent.

A devotee does give you the time requirements, but it's not sufficient in its own right -- anyone can spend lots of time worshipping. I might require something like 5 levels of mastery in at least 3 abilities as being the recognition, given the default power level of the game.

Alain

> And is there RQ2 terms still used such as Windlords (Orlanth),
> DeathLords (Zorak Zoran),...

No doubt. Remember that HW is just presenting the minimal basics to run a Heortling -- we'll see a lot more in the culture book.

Jonas again:

> I tried including Vanganth in my narrative, but my Narrator thought that
> it gave me a whole bunch of skills for very few words. I changed it to
> just the Flying affinity, most of those skills were of marginal use
> anyway.

I think your Narrator was a cheapskate -- after all, if you're in a second cult, you have a second set of obligations. (The requirements for piety are sadly not very detailed in the game so far.)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein