Re: HQ2, cultural key-words, runes.....

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:54:38 -0000

> So my question is really: are there plans to give some official
> listing of runes associated with various key-words that were published
> for HQ1, or else some semi-official guidance on conversion practices?

Associated with cultural keywords? As in Heortling male = Storm?

I can't speak for the general situation, but, IMO, the Rokari (as the only culture in the core rulebook that I've written extensively on myself) do not have a single rune inherently associated with them in the way that the Heortlings apparently do. Law is their favourite rune, of course, but its not mandatory.

So, let's assume you have a Xemelan healer. In HQ1, she has access to the Formulary "For Others", and to any blessings her liturgist may have cast on her. In HQ2, she now has access to the Harmony Rune (note that this rune is already listed in the HQ1 Xemela write-up next to the spells). Through that rune, she is able to use "For Others", which is now a grimoire, not a formulary, and any spells in that grimoire that she may have learned. She also gets to keep all her existing blessings from HQ1, although, of course, they now work through the HQ2 augment system, which makes all the changes that implies.

Unlike a Chalana Arroy healer, she can't use her rune to improvise or do anything of that sort, because she only knows the spells she has learned, and spells Do Exactly What It Says On The Tin. On the other hand, she can become a mage if she wants (which she couldn't in HQ1), which has various kewl benefits.

In short, her magic hasn't really changed, even if the way some of it is described may have done.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/