Re: Re: HQ2, cultural key-words, runes.....

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:28:47 +1200

At 11:47 p.m. 22/08/2008, you wrote:
>metcalph_at_... wrote:
> > The Lords of Oak and Storm actually appears under the heading of
> > Common Magic and Mixed Religions. While many of the magics
> > granted by the LoOaS are common magics, the magics conferred
> > by specific entities of the Wenelian tradition, Storm Pantheon
> > and Trader Princes are not.

>I'm talking specifically about the Common Magic religion.

The subtopic was originally about the Wenelians and how that was supposedly a bit awkward for HQ2 because it was mainly a common magic religion.

>However the rules we have at present do not really support a single cult
>which offers a mix of magic types at even the most basic level and the
>unfocussed nature of the collection of feats, charms, spells and talents
>is a further obstacle.

However the Lords of Oak and Storm as presented in Blood over Gold is not a single cult, even in the described common religion section. It should be viewed as a collection of disparate folklore and superstition rather than a coherent cult. If I have a four left clover for luck, I am not calling upon an ordered collection of cult lore for luck and if I were to pray to the God of Antlers and Hooves for protection while carrying a four leaf clover, I would be calling upon two minor entities grouped together in one common religion for convenience.

That said HQ does treat people as capable of learning from more than one body of common magic knowledge within a culture (such as the Medicine Lodges for the Wenelians as well as the Lords of Oak and Storm) which I think borders on too much detail (in rule terms not gloranthan terms). Organized common magic religions may be better off treated as herobands.

--Peter Metcalfe