Re: Re: HQ2 Extended Contest Question

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 07:00:49 +0000

On 26 Nov 2008, at 02:23, Jamie wrote:
> See that kind of thinking sits well with me for old style extended
> contests but there is
> somthing more discrete and singular about the new style. It implies
> a more itterative and
> less freeform approach. As I stated in my previous post it feels
> like a mechanic that
> models a single scene or a montage, whereas old extended contests
> were appropriate for
> a sequence of scenes each with a single roll. The difference is in
> the pacing of the
> mechanic and in their differing relationships with the narration.

I really see the new version as a more formalised version of chained simple contests (as in Mythic Russia). The relevant difference seems to be that every exchange has the same stakes, instead of the option of going all-out or setting the stakes low. I don't see that that difference as having the effect that you describe (wouldn't an all- out bid be MORE like a single scene ?)