RE: Starting APs

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:10:07 +0100

From: Mikael Raaterova [mailto:ginijji_at_...]

I think we must agree to differ now. I'm not happy with the idea that you would defend against a JOBs Confusion attack with your sword. I prefer (choosing my word carefully, here) that you defend with something else but then use your sword when it's time to attack.

>I try to play the Game, not the Rules. The Rules should be fitted to the
game, not vice versa.

So do I (and so, I'm sure, do most other people on this mailing list).

From: david.boatright_at_...

>If your players want to manipulate the rules would they not be
>better playing AD&D. I thought the whole idea behind HW is to get
>away from this sort of thing.

Why do you imagine there's an area on the HW web site for optional rules?

---

The way I'm going to play this is this: In any extended contest, you state
your objective and pick the ability which you think is relevant and which
you want to use (and more than likely your best one in the circumstances).
That's the one used to calculate AP. Whatever ability you choose, it is
advertised to everyone else (i.e. your hand goes to your sword, you pull out
a fetish or amulet, you draw a deep breath ready to launch into a huge
speech). Order of action is determined by APs but when it comes to your go
(either as actor or opponent) you do whatever seems appropriate.

Suprise situations or definate initiative need a bit more thought. Maybe as
a separate first contest ...

Richard