Re: Misapplied Misapplied Worship Rules?

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:49:42 -0000

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but ...

Nick :

> the Misapplied Worship Rules were originally meant simply
> to prevent characters having access to more than one magic system,

I'm afraid you're being optimistic ...
I think that the purpose of these rules is confusion.

> and that they do a good job of this.

Sorry : your words happened to be in the right place at the right time ... ;-)

> If my reading is right, then any one character can *only*
> perform one kind of worship

Generally true ; but this doesn't always apply (for instance) to the Secrets of Theism. Nor does it apply to Arkats, or God Learners. So apply that rule with care ...

> Mind you, HW p.167 says there are "theists who practice ecstatic
> worship in addition to sacrifice", which I don't pretend to
> understand.

Well, AFAIK there's lots more where that one came from.

Advance Storm Warning ...

> Maybe it's a loosely worded way of saying,
> "some theistic cultures include unusual individuals who
> practice ecstatic worship instead of sacrifice (e.g.
> Kolating shamans among the theistic Orlanthi; Jakaleeli shamans
> among the theistic Lunars)"? Let's hope so.

AFAIK it's a rules expression of basic and deliberate confusion for Glorantha.

Hmmm... now that *is* straying a bit far from rules discussions...

> Somewhere along the way (pre-publication), the Misapplied Worship
> rules seem to have become assimilated into a half-hearted
> One-True-World crusade,

Four-True-Worlds shurely, ... ;-)

The problem, I think, is that the 3 Otherworlds are defined by the rules as being completely separate from each other, despite the fact that some otherworld creatures (Chaos Demons, for example !) don't fit into that neat scheme.

i.e. it's a God Learner description of Glorantha, useful for HW, and necessary for the heroquesting rules, but not the be-all and end-all of what is possible in Glorantha.

Hence problems with Urox/Storm Bull, and elsewhere.

I hope that someone out there can turn all that into a full-fledged *rules* issue :-)

cheers,

Julian Lord