Re: Relative resistances and narrow/broad abilities

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 01:03:50 -0500

 Olli. I think you must keep in mind that relative resistances aren't a fixed requirement. (How very Zen.)
In other words, what this does (from my understanding) is put the judgment of what resistance to set with the GM, rather than fix things at a given level.

In other words, Breaking through this Wall is not a 10W3 resistance, it's just REALLY HARD. What does REALLY HARD mean in your game? Well, that depends on your game, doesn't it?

So to take your Pitiful, Narrow, Broad, Augmenting ability thing, I don't think you ever go "this event will be +5 harder". Sometimes you do if narratively that makes sense. But usually you would say, "That Pitiful Ability is PERFECT" so this shouldn't be too hard using it. Or that broad ability sort of applies, but it will be tough. Or that narrow ability is pretty spot on, but this is a really tough wall.

What the rules give you are how to set what tough, really tough, easy, etc, are - and you set those related to the ability in question. Or possibly the ability level of the campaign. (That's unclear to me.)

But it isn't set as "Your next challenge is +5 whatever ability you use", I'm pretty sure of that.

LC