Re: Re: The merits of relative and absolute resistances (HQ1 and HQ2)

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:08:00 -0400

Matthew Cole wrote:
>> I can see an argument saying that since the PCs have numbers, and
you use
>>those for contests, you should have numbers for NPCs.

>- this is what I struggled with for the longest time.

And I think for many people, this seems a logical argument, which is why I brought it up as playing Devil's Advocate. If you think the world needs to be emulated by the system, the lack of NPC stats seems arbitrary and foolish.

>Now I write a few lines of prose about an NPC, pertaining to their role in
>the overall story and their specific connection to the up and coming
>session. I then underline key phrases and words which I can pull out as
>abilities. When it comes time for them to take their part I use the base
>resistance for their number with a rare augment and add the difficulty
>according to the table (moderate, hard, etc).
>
>Would it be helpful if I were to post some examples?

I'm sure it would for some people. Not for me, I was bringing it up to point out the argument exists.
Other people, for whom the point is (philosophically) that the world should be consistent and the rules should support the emulation of the world, are not going to be convinced by your examples, because they don't see that being particularly fun.

LC