Mastery Questions!

From: NFranz197_at_...
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 20:04:52 EDT

Hello!

> Welcome to the Hero Wars Glorantha List. We are trying to
> concentrate on roleplaying in Glorantha using the Hero Wars
> rules, rather than dicussing and debating these rules.

    All right, that is understood. However, I have one rules-related question that was brought to my attention by a fellow player. In fact, he brought this to my attention only _tonight_, but it seems urgent.

Suppose you have these three characters:

    Joe1        Close Combat 17 (17 AP)
    Joe2        Close Combat 2w (22 AP)
    Joe3        Close Combat 17w2 (57 AP)

If Joe1 squares off against Joe3 without any further modifiers, he is most likely to roll a Success vs. Joe3's Critical Success.

    However, if Joe2 squares off against Joe3, he has a target number of only 2, and will most likely keep rolling Failures vs. Criticals. He has only a 10% chance of a Success, even though he has one level of Mastery already. This means that a character with NO masteries has a better chance against a guy with 2 Masteries than somebody with 1 Mastery has against the same opponent.

Now for something even trickier.
Suppose Alfred has Sword & Shield Fighting 5w3 (that's 65 AP) and fights against Bob who has Sword & Shield w3 (60 AP). Does Bob have a target number of 0, a target number of 1, or what?

Or how about this one:
Al has Sword & Shield 5w3 (65 AP)
Greg has Sword & Shield w2 (40 AP)

You have to subtract w2 from both sides. So Al will get the benefit of a BUMP on every roll in the contest. And what will Greg have? Which target number does he roll against? Is it zero?

Apart from this dilemma, I really enjoy Hero Wars so far.

Please, please answer my above questions, or pass them on to somebody who will! Some of my players are pain-in-the-ass rules lawyers, and I'm sure they'll exploit the above rule quite a bit (if I can't do anything about it).

CU
Norbert

"Fair damosel," said Sir Launcelot, "I may not warn people to speak of me what it pleaseth them; but for to be a wedded man, I think it not; for then I must couch with her, and leave arms and tournaments, battles, and adventures; and as for to say for to take my pleasance with paramours, that I will refuse [...] for knights that be adventurous or lecherous shall not be happy ne fortunate unto the wars ..."
                                        (Le Morte D'Arthur, VI, ch. 10)