RE: Re: Misapplied Misapplied Worship Rules?

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 20:45:54 +0100

Julian wrote:

>> If my reading is right, then any one character can *only*
>> perform one kind of worship

> Generally true ; but this doesn't always apply (for instance) > to the Secrets of Theism.

Yes it does. See HW p.166 -- "Secrets have different forms. Although most utilize game mechanics very similar to other types of magic, it is important to note that this does not make the secret an example of that type of magic. A secret that acts in game terms as an affinity is not actually one."

> Nor does it apply to Arkats, or God Learners.

Where is your proof of this? I see nowhere in the HW rules where it says that a character can perform more than one kind of worship. You are making an assumption about how two as-yet unpublished "special cases" might work. Why?

Where is the evidence that any individual God Learner was able to successfully perform more than one type of worship? It seems to me that they viewed and manipulated the whole Gloranthan cosmos from one materialist/reductionist perspective. The ones who couldn't, formed breakaway factions (e.g. Kralorela, Six Legged Empire). If they could have stayed within the Jrusteli mainstream and just "worshipped differently" in their foreign dominions, wouldn't they have done that instead?

Where is the evidence that Arkat, a noted traitor and turncoat, ever worshipped in two different ways at the same time? He is famous for burning his bridges behind him, being chucked out of every club he ever joined -- not for successfully amalgamating different traditions by performing perfectly in two or more religious modes simultaneously.

>> Mind you, HW p.167 says there are "theists who practice ecstatic
>> worship in addition to sacrifice", which I don't pretend to
>> understand.

> Well, AFAIK there's lots more where that one came from.

I think this is down to sloppy writing and/or editing which can be rectified by critical interpretation (and in the errata and subsequent volumes), not a deliberate policy of writing magic rules that neither make sense nor do what they're supposed to. YMMV.

Cheers, Nick