RE: Re: Misapplied Misapplied Worship Rules?

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 22:22:27 -0400

>> Nor does it apply to Arkats, or God Learners.
>
>Where is your proof of this? I see nowhere in the HW rules where it says
>that a character can perform more than one kind of worship. You are making
>an assumption about how two as-yet unpublished "special cases" might work.
>Why?

        Unless Trollish sorcery is to be retconned, he was capable enough as a sorcerer to found a sorcerous tradition while simultaneously utilising trollish magics. Now, this could all be explained as as misapplied worship, but I don't think so.

        Mind you, I think this is unusual and difficult enough that it doesn't need to be in the rules - Arkat was astonishing in his ability to perform this sort of act. And tough enough that lots of -20 penalties didn't slow him down much.

>Where is the evidence that any individual God Learner was able to
>successfully perform more than one type of worship? It seems to me that they
>viewed and manipulated the whole Gloranthan cosmos from one
>materialist/reductionist perspective. The ones who couldn't, formed
>breakaway factions (e.g. Kralorela, Six Legged Empire).

        I generally agree - though the God Learners where probably partial to a bit of misapplied veneration now and then (or even as a more or less steady diet, in some cases). I certainly don't think that the God Learners where interested in mysticism or ecstatic worship - they were interested in other cultures otherworlds, but not their values.

>Where is the evidence that Arkat, a noted traitor and turncoat, ever
>worshipped in two different ways at the same time? He is famous for burning
>his bridges behind him, being chucked out of every club he ever joined --
>not for successfully amalgamating different traditions by performing
>perfectly in two or more religious modes simultaneously.

        I always figured the troll sorcerers to be as good an example of integrating sorcery and divine worship as you could get. YMMV.

	Cheers
		David