Re: Re: Runes & personalities

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:13:14 -0400

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...> wrote:

> Humakt has only two runes: Death and Truth. Most Sartarite Humakti have the
> Air Rune (since most Orlanthi men have the Air Rune), many Carmanian Humakti
> have the Darkness rune (since many Carmanians have the Darkness Rune).

A conversation I had with Greg and Jeff Kyer at StellarCon a few years ago indicated that Carmanians abhor Darkness as being the element connected with Ganesatarus and the Lie. The old idea of Carmanians revering a balance between Light and Dark was soundly rejected. Idovanus = Light and Ganesatarus = Dark.

I am still not exactly sure what the carmanian take on Humakt should be. In my carmanian games Humakt is the Separator, the Holy Razor that Idovanus used to separate Light from Dark, Good from Evil, Truth from the Lie, Life from Death, Wisdom from Ignorance, etc. He is the god of holy war in that he destroys the minions of the Lie, although in practice his cult is often used to supply remorseless killers. This is because Humakti obey their liege lord without question as long as that lord remains righteous in the eyes of the church.

IMG Humakt is also a sort of Judge of the Dead, in that he personifies the Sword Bridge to Paradise which is so narrow that if you are not perfectly righteous you are likely to fall into hell. How this works is something that I haven't decided. Perhaps it is simply that righteous people pass on to their various afterlives as usual and evil people go to be with Ganesatarus in hell. Perhaps only practitioners of pure wizardry go on to paradise (the carmanian version of Solace) while everyone else goes to their usual afterlives to cycle through rebirths until they achieve perfection. Perhaps the Bridge separates the essence portion of a carmanian soul (which goes to paradise) from the other mixed parts (which go on to their various afterlives or are destroyed).

This is important since I believe that Carmanians are visited by their ancestors once a year (during Sacred Time, I think), and I need to know the form that this takes.

Anyway, Death and Truth fit. Maybe Light, as Humakt is considered a manifestation/tool/etc of Idovanus. It is odd to think of Humakt as a god of Light, but then so is Lodril/Turos and he is also an underworld god.

Thoughts?

-Kevin McD